Interested in empowering girls the world over?
You can change SEW many lives.
Empower Girls Abroad – Education encourages Self Worth!
Volunteer your sewing skills and help make Days for Girls feminine hygiene kits and kit components.
Our Fabric Stash has partnered with two Days For Girls International local teams (Seattle Limbre Sister City Association & Women’s Ministry at First AME Church) in support of girls gaining access to quality sustainable feminine hygiene and awareness.
The local team plans to take the completed kits to Cameroon in January 2016 and train the women / girls to make them.
The Train / Working Session schedule for the remaining of the year is set for:
Saturday, August 29 – 9am-2pm
Saturday, September 27 – 9am-2pm
Saturday, October 17 – 9am-2pm
Saturday, November 21 – 9am-2pm
Saturday, December 12 – 9am-2pm
Be sure to bring your machine, your smiling face and generous spirit.
- High-level overview of each steps required to make the drawstring bags (in the Our Fabric Stash store)
- Working sewing session for making the drawstring bags. There will be some people sewing and others cutting or preparing the fabric. (to occur in the classroom on the Pike Place Office level)
Note: Focus on the video related to the drawstring bags in preparation for this session (see link below).
Your commitment is: Attend this session and decide later how much you would like to be involved going forward (sessions will be scheduled once a month, May-December).
How to prepare for the session and what to expect and bring:
- Read the Days For Girls website (the trainer has made this request because it will help facilitate the learning pace):
- View the following How-To videos that shows the steps required to make a kit.
- Bring your sewing machine and/or serger already threaded with a medium to dark GRAY thread (if you don’t have one, that is ok)
- Bring a pillow or cushion for your sewing comfort
Directions and Location in the Market and Parking Options:
93 Pike Street, Suite #103 | Seattle, WA. 98101
We’re on the ground floor of the Economy Market next to the Atrium Kitchen. Use the 1433 First Avenue Entrance of the Economy Market Building (south of DeLaurenti).
Because parking is limited. there is a group meeting at the First AME Church – 1522 14th Avenue off Madison to carpool. The church van is being used to drop-off and pick-up volunteers. If you would like to reserve your space, let us know by or before Friday at 3pm.
Next Steps and what we need from you:
- If your interested in being a Trainer, you must attend a train-the-trainers session, and sign-up to attend at least three monthly sewing circles to teach other women how to make the products that will be scheduled from May – December (May 30th is the next session and other dates to be determined and announced soon).
- Recruit people who are interested in helping. No, not everyone needs to have sewing skills as there are non-sewing tasks.
- Visit the DaysForGirls.org website to see the list of supplies we’ll be needing for the sewing circles.
- We ask that you began to look in your stash or ask friends to donate fabrics (100% cottons and cotton flannels) – Fabrics are also available for purchase at Our Fabric Stash at a discounted price.